Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing 14 Technorati and How Tags Work

Technorati is a great site for finding useful blogs if I need an answer to a question that is a non-reference question, or if I just want to see what my colleagues think about a certain topic. I already have so many blogs that I follow, I don’t think I could read one more if I tried, but who knows—maybe I’ll ditch a a few in favor of some new ones I like better. (smile)

Tagging information is a fabulous way to organize it. One of the pages I read for this assignment talked about how it is important that the USERS (not the publishers) provide the tags in order for them to be authentic. If the publishers do the tagging, it serves their purposes (advertising) and not necessarily the purposes of readers or consumers of the information. That is a very important distinction in my opinion!

Tags are like subject headings assigned by readers and users. Since there is no hierarchical relationship (and there is none expected) and there is no controlled vocabulary, users end up getting a sort of up-to-date set of related search terms in the cloud that forms when multiple tags are assigned to an object. It’s not the LOC, but it works, and it’s pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment